Monday 17 January 2011

Crafty Cardmakers - spotlight on pencils


It's time for a new spotlight challenge at Crafty Cardmakers and for this fortnight we'd like to see your creations coloured with nothing but pencils!  Any other colouring medium is out!  Quite a challenge for me, but I've enjoyed it :o)

I often use koh-i-noor pencils to add some shading to my promarker coloured images, but this is only the second time I've coloured a whole image using the pencils.  I must admit, I find using the pencils a lot more relaxing than colouring with markers, and I now want to get lots of prisma pencils because there aren't enough colours in the koh-i-noors... I need skin tones and that sort of thing.  Also, I'm not sure of what paper or card is best for colouring solely with pencils - any recommendations from those who usually use prismas or similar?

Anyway, I've used a stamp from Elzybells and coloured it with koh-i-noor pencils blended with sansador.  I'm quite happy with how the bears turned out, but everything else needs a lot more practice... or maybe just a better selection of colours lol!  I've kept the rest of the card VERY simple, because this one will probably be for my hubby for Valentine's and he prefers my simpler cards.  So I've just used Stampin' Up kraft cardstock, red Papermill cardstock and some ribbon I found in my stash.  The heart was cut with the Sizzix 'primitive hearts' die, embossed with the cuttlebug 'swiss dots' folder.

I'm entering my card for the following challenges:
Thank you all so much for the lovely birthday messages yesterday!  I had a bit of a busy day so didn't do much blogging, but I'll have a wander around today to catch up on some commenting :o)

31 comments:

Juls said...

gorgeous!!!! I love the fact you used pencils...I am trying to use a few more different mediums for colour...I used to be a bit more creative like that, but have since become obsessed with the markers!!!....Love the use of Kraft too, such a sweet and romantic card! Hugs Juls

Lou Mac said...

Gorgeous elegant card. I love the combo of kraft, red and white - its always a winner.

I love your pencil work - so clean and perfect. The ribbon and embossed heart is yummy!!

Thanks for joining us over at Pear Tree Designs - good luck in the challenges.

Why not pop on over to my blog? I have candy available until the 31st.
Lou Mac. xo

Flutterby Trina said...

Beautiful card, love the colouring. Its bizzare you saying about pencils, just got mine out, fancy a change from pro-markers! I just feel pencils take longer to get the effect!

Thanks for joining us at Pear Tree Designs this week, Good Luck!

Hugs

Katrina
xx

Nannieflash said...

Hi Lisa, that is stunning a simple design and not over the top, a really beautiful result. With love and hugs Shirleyxx

Chris (catt871) said...

BEautiful card!!!! I use Koh-i-noor pencils all the time too - LOVE THEM!!! I bought the LYRA SKIN TONE pencils and they are an awesome compliment to the koh-i-noors!! I use either Gina K or Papertrey Ink paper with mine and they both work awesome!!!

Thanks for joining us at Incy Wincy DEsigns!!
Chris

Claire said...

WOW this is gorgeous and such a lovely coloured image too. Hugs, Claire x

Vicky said...

This is gorgeous Lisa, so love the CES look and you have coloured the image in beautifully with your pencils :o)

Hugs Vicky xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful card I love the effect you have with the pencils, Mary x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card, love that ribbon. xx

craftymum said...

Great card Lisa. I use the same pencils, much cheaper than Prisma!!!
Tanks for joining us at TG this week
hugs sarah x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card Lisa, your pencil colouring is beautiful. Sue x

Kelly Schelske said...

Fabulous coloring Lisa, awesome card!!

Louise said...

It's gorgeous, great colouring x

Lindsey said...

Wow! Lisa this is gorgeous, your colouring is perfect and i love the CAS layout!
Linds x (aged 29!)

Donna Mosley said...

Hi Lisa, gorgeous card, your colouring is amazing, love the cute bears and embossed heart.

Donna x

gillyflower said...

oh love this love the way you have shaded around them too
just lovely
gill x

Kat said...

Beautiful card Lisa. Love those cuddly bears. Great colouring. I think most men prefer plain don't they. I'm sure your hubby'll love it. Thanks for joining us at TG this week.

Belated Happy Birthday btw.

Kat xx

Cazza said...

Hiya Lisa,

This is stunning hon!! I love this stamp and it really stands out on the simpler card - it really is STUNNING hon :o)

Hugs,
Cazza
xxx

coops said...

aw stunning card lisa.the image is adorable and i love your fantastic colouring .
belated birthday wishes :D

xx coops xx

Nikki said...

Awe this is so adorable love the red against the kraft color nice!!!

Thanks for Sharing at Incy Wincy this Week
Hug Nikki and the rest of the DT

Lin said...

Love how you have teamed the Kraft card up with the teddies' colouring, which by the way are shaded beautifully.

Lin xx

Lynsey said...

This is such a cutie Lisa! Love it!
Hugs Lynsey x

Susie said...

Love this card Lisa, the image is adorable and I love the red against the kraft card. Thanks for joining us at Pear Tree designs this week and good luck xx

Vicky said...

WOW....gorgeous card I love the colour theme & your colouring with pencils is fabulous. Ebay are quite good sometimes for cheaper prisma's.
Thankyou for joining us girlies at CES Challenges, good luck hun.

Hugs Vicky xx

melsanford said...

What a gorgeous card! Your coluring is beautiful and I love the layout :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

p.s. Visit my blog to check out my Blogaversary candy!

Suzie said...

Beautiful! The imaage and your colouring is fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Totally Gorjuss this week. Hugs Suzie x

Anonymous said...

Yay!! yay!! I made it!! I made it...finally!! I knew something had to be up with blogger or something!! I ADORE this sweetie!! LOVE your coloring and sweet image!!! :) HUGS

Mary J said...

Totally sweet!

So pleased you could join us at Totally Gorjuss this week - hope to see you for our next challenge!

Mary J xxx

Helen said...

Awww...this is adorable! Love the CAS look!
Thanks for joining us at Pile It On!
Helen x

Juanita said...

Adorable card, love the color combo, ribbon and your coloring. Thanks for sharing with us at Fussy and Fancy.

Mina said...

stunning card Lisa, I love how you used the kraft card it really makes the image stand out...thanks for joining in with the Bunny Zoe's Crafts monthly challenge
Mina xxx